Alhambra Tours | Explore the Deep History of this Ancient UNESCO World Heritage Site
Set against the stunning backdrop of the Sierra Nevada mountains and overlooking the Darro River and the ancient town of Granada, Alhambra is one of the most popular tourist sites in Spain. Originally built as a walled city, this beautiful 9th century Islamic structure is a huge complex comprising several palaces, gardens, courtyards, a military fortress, and more. Read on to know more about how an Alhambra tour would be the perfect way to explore this UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Why Take an Alhambra Tour?
Alhambra boasts a rich history and is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Spain. Here are a few reasons why you should take an Alhambra tour.
Guided Tours vs Non-Guided Tours
What to Expect on an Alhambra Tour?
A visit to such a massive historical place of interest can be overwhelming since there’s so much to see. To help you explore the Alhambra more efficiently, we suggest that you opt for an Alhambra tour because it includes an expert tour guide who has in-depth knowledge of the attraction. They will guide you and provide you with all the insights you need to make the most of your experience at this UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Once you meet your tour guide at the entrance, you will be taken straight inside the palace grounds, where you get a chance to visit places of interest like the Nasrid Palaces, Generalife Gardens, and the Alcazaba. Admire the Moorish-style architecture of the Nasrid Palaces as you explore the Palace of Comares, Bath of the Mosque, the Lion’s Palace, Golden Courtyard, the Palace of Carlos V, and more.
You will then be taken to the military fortress of Alcazaba to explore places of interest like the Bucket Tower, the Arms Square, the Square of the Cisterns, Tower of Homage, the urban military district, the terrace of the Arms Gate, and the Ramparts Garden. Enjoy breathtaking views of the city and the Sierra Nevada mountains from the watchtower. Your tour will end with a visit to the Generalife Gardens comprising magnificent palaces, courtyards, orchards, stone fountains, lots of greenery, and more.
Highlights Covered on your Alhambra Guided Tour
- Get your tickets online. Tickets get sold out quickly since it’s one of the most popular tourist attractions in Granada.
- Make sure you wear sunscreen and comfortable shoes because you’ll have to walk around a lot.
- Carry your original passport/driver’s license with you. The staff can ask for ID at any point. You will not be allowed inside without it.
- Most sections of the Alhambra are wheelchair friendly except the Alcazaba due to its ancient structure. The Nasrid Palace and Generalife Gardens are accessible with assistance to those with limited or reduced mobility.
- Backpacks and luggage are not allowed inside Nasrid Palace. Storage lockers are available for visitors.
- If you’re traveling by car, paid parking is available right outside Alhambra. Bus numbers C3, C30 or C32 will drop you right in front of the entrance.
Frequently Asked Questions About Alhambra Tours
A. Alhambra tours start at €30.
A. There are four types of Alhambra tours – skip the line guided tour, small group guided tour with Nasrid Palaces, skip the line guided tour with Alcazaba and Generalife Gardens, and an Alhambra skip the line guided tour that departs from Seville.
A. The Alhambra guided tours are available in five languages – English, German, Italian, Spanish, and French.
A. It depends on the type of Alhambra tour you book. The small group guided tour will have no more than 10 people while the other guided tours have a maximum capacity of 25 guests.
A. The Alhambra guided tours take about 2 to 3 hours.
A. Yes. Children under the age of 11 years get discounted tickets on the small group guided tour with Nasrid Palaces and the Alhambra skip the line guided tour that departs from Seville while those below 12 years of age enjoy a reduced price on their tickers on the skip the line guided tour with Alcazaba and Generalife Gardens.